Cinnamon Meringues with Chocolate Chips: TAKE 1

     My first attempt at Gluten Free baking took place last Friday. I decided to make meringues, because: 
A) they are easy, B) they are delicious, and C) they are a simple GF treat! With that being said, I decided to test my own recipe for meringues. Besides, I had made meringues before and they always turned out great! 
     Let's just say, that didn't happen this time around. (Although, The Butcher seemed to like them anyways). Half of the cookies were burnt on the outside, yet undercooked and marshmallowy on the inside. The other half of the cookies were perfect on the outside, and again undercooked on the inside. And mind you, I baked both sheets of cookies in the same oven, at the same time. My guess, is that A) I'm not a great baker, or B) I'm not use to my new old-school gas oven! Or simply, it could just be that I was testing out my own recipe for meringues for the very first time. Either way, I'm not giving up, and will be trying them again until they are perfected. 
But, for now please take pleasure in reading my failed recipe:

Ingredients:

-5 Farm Fresh Egg Whites, at Room Temp (mine were not at room temp, oops!)
-1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
-1 C. Confectioner Sugar (or should I have used granulated? or maybe super fine?)
-1 Tbs. Cinnamon (which I actually found to be toooo much)
-1 6oz package Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (always a good choice)
-Cinnamon for Sprinkling on top

Directions (typed exactly how I wrote them down):

300° 25-30 m.
Mix  Beat whites until frothy, add tartar. When whites begin to stiffen, add cinnamon & sugar slowly. Once you have stiff peaks, carefully mix in chips w. spatula. Place mixture in plastic bag to pipe onto greased cookie sheets. Sprinkle cin. Bake. Enjoy. 


      Anywho, I sure hope you enjoyed my really terrible recipe above! I promise I plan on perfecting the recipe into something that is actually legible and works, thus creating a cookie that is actually edible. Please note, that all great cooks and bakers fail at one time or another. Don't lose hope!

Please feel free to take a look at the pictures below... that I snapped with each step in hopes that my meringues had actually turned out correctly:

The Ingredients!

The Somewhat Stiff Peaks 

Bag O' Stiff Peaks
Before Baking
Sheet 1: Perfection.... or not.
Sheet 2: Nasty!

Comments

Popular Posts