Grandma's Peanut Butter Marshmallow

I thought I'd try my hand at some more Food Writing. I took a class this quarter and came to find that I tend to be more of a reporter/ food critic/ informative style writer, more than a (fiction/ non fic/ poetry) food writer. But, I have a story/ recipe I'd like to share that I've always loved.

Grandma's Peanut Butter Marshmallow:



Ever since I was a little girl, I can remember peanut butter marshmallow being a staple breakfast item at Grammy's. I'd wake up pretty early, around 8am to my grandmother sitting in her kitchen reading the newspaper and enjoying a steaming cup of coffee. As soon as she'd see me, she'd grab all the ingredients for the famous breakfast out of the pantry and fridge. Sometimes, she already have them out waiting for me- besides, it was the only breakfast I'd eat.
She'd start with a cold slice of Italian bread, straight out of the refrigerator. This kept the bread sturdy, yet still soft. Then she would add a thin layer of creamy peanut butter to the bread, making sure she covered every last bit. After that, came a not so thin layer of marshmallow cream- many know this ingredient as "fluff." The fluff covered the peanut butter in such a way, that it almost resembled a puffy square cloud! After the simple breakfast item was prepared, it was sent on a short hot trip to the broiler, where it was transformed into a culinary masterpiece. (Or at least a masterpiece in the eyes of a little girl). Once out of the oven, the final task was to cut the bread into tiny bite-sized pieces. Grammy and I always tried to challenge ourselves to outdo our previous record of pieces sliced (from times before).
After waiting for a few short minutes of slicing, that seemed like an eternity to my young mind, the peanut butter marshmallow was finally ready to eat. This simple bread delight could transport you to a few different places: the school cafeteria, and the woods near a campfire. Each bite was something special. As the bread creation cooked under the broiler, the marshmallow fluff created a crisp shell over the peanut butter, that resembled a toasted campfire marshmallow. The slightly burnt, golden brown shell had a perfect chewiness to it, that oozed from your mouth with residual white strings. Although the marshmallow presented the initial taste, the peanut butter was not to be outdone. The combination of the peanut butter and italian bread, took you straight to an elementary school cafeteria. Not only would the peanut butter and bread stick to the roof of your mouth, but the saltiness of the peanut butter balanced the marshmallow almost perfectly.
To this day, I still enjoy going to stay the night at my Grandmothers. And, I can always count on Grammy having the ingredients ready for my breakfast masterpiece!

Comments

  1. love love love love loveeee:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha Thanks Tar! love the name! I knew it was you instantly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts