Made For Sweethearts

It's a marshmallow world made for sweethearts...

So, I know I wrote an entry early on in my blogging life about Fluffernutters, but I thought you might like to see a revamped entry. Lately I've been craving Peanut Butter Marshmallow- the name aptly given to the broiled open- faced sandwich (aka: fluffernutter) by my cousins and I when we'd stay the night with my grandmother. In my earlier blog I mentioned that this particular food took me back to both the school cafeteria because of the peanut butter, and a campfire because of the marshmallow. But, nowadays this treat takes me back to sitting at the counter in my grammy's kitchen watching her carefully prepare it. She would even have the ingredients sitting out, ready to go for when I awoke. This super scrumptious treat is something that I generally ate at breakfast, but can be enjoyed anytime day or night!

The steps are simplistic and I'd love to share them with you:

(What you start with: marshmallow fluff, creamy peanut butter- although, I suppose you could try crunchy, and any kind of white bread. I prefer Italian. Once, my grandmother used rye bread because that's all she had- it was horrid!)

Begin by starting the broil setting on your oven. I have a gas stove and chose to set it to high. Faster cooking! (see what I did there?) Then I prepared a sheet pan, by lining it with heavy duty aluminum foil. This makes clean up so much easier. I really hate having to pick hard burnt marshmallow off a pan.
Then you put a layer of peanut butter on your white bread- not too thick, not too thin. You do want to be able to taste the peanut butter under the layer of fluff.
(The bread with a simple layer of peanut butter)

Next, you need to place a slightly thicker layer of marshmallow fluff over the peanut butter. (You should know, this treat isn't for the faint of heart!)


Now it's ready to go under the broiler. 

(The bread with the marshmallow layer atop the peanut butter)

Please Note: You need to place the bread concoction close to the flame or the coils (whichever you have). But be aware, you need to keep a super close eye on the bread as it burns easily. Just like a marshmallow would at a campfire! (Unless of course, you like that result!)

(This is me, watching the bread carefully. You can see the marshmallow bubbles forming!)

You will know when the treat is done:

(Ready to taste)

Again, Dinky tried to get in on the food action, as she often does when I'm cooking. And, I swear... we don't typically let her on the table, but she was being so darn cute, that I had to take a pic!

(Dinky and the peanut butter marshmallow)

Please please please, I try this special treat! I swear it will transport you to a different place, whether that's the school cafeteria, a campfire, or your favorite grandmother's kitchen! 

Comments

Popular Posts